Sunday, June 1, 2008

I've joined my brothers in Valhalla

Valhalla as in musical ecstasy.

My old phone, a Sony Ericsson K608i was a great phone. But it was limited in it's memory space, only a mere 30MB internal memory and it doesn't have a memory stick to enhance it. And being a music addict, it wasn't a great option as a music/mp3 player. The only songs I could insert were just my ringtones, message alert and alarm alert. Boring. And to top it off, my joystick was faulty, making it hard to navigate both right and down.

So it was time to make a decision.
1. Get an mp3 player, or
2. Get a better phone (with larger memory)

But then these two options also brought in a dilemma which procrastinated my decision making.

1. MP3 Player: I travel to work daily, and the journey involves passing some 'black' areas, notably Central Market. As it is, I'm always concerned with the things I carry, my wallet, phone and my laptop. An MP3 player would just add to more concerns and accommodate more of my pocket space.

2. A new phone would just invite prying eyes.

After much consideration, I opted for the latter. Sooner or later, I would need the extra space on my phone and it's just a matter of time till my joystick fails me for good.

So I started scouting around for phones that were reasonable in price and also fulfilled my lust for more music. Traveling 4 hours a day to and fro from work without any entertainment was already driving me up the wall. And being a Sony Ericsson user for 2 years, I was bent on getting something of the same brand.

I had my eyes on the K770i, which had a limited built in memory, but came with a 1GB stick, apart from being a CyberShot phone with 3.2MP. Interesting. A couple of friends of mine had one and after a few fondling sessions, I liked it a lot. So last weekend I went out to Terminal 1 in Seremban to start off my hunt. We surveyed the whole mall for some phones and there were some good deals. I had an RM 800 budget and my phone to trade in. Couple of my friends found some phones which were reasonably good, going for about 5-600 bucks. But what turned me off were the keypads which were either thin lines or small rounds (these were SE Cybershots as well but the models escape my mind).

Then we came across an SE shop which had a good variety of models, and pretty lenient in the pricings as well. I asked for the K770i and started interrogating about it. Thankfully the salesgirl was kind enough to answer all my queries. But after looking through the phone, I somehow felt it wasn't the right one for me, although I was bent on getting it for over a month. It was a Cybershot, yeah, but the MP3 player features were pretty limited, and sound wasn't as good as an SE Walkman series. The keypads also were a problem for me, too thin for my fat fingers.

The I came across another SE model, a W660i, a walkman model for a cheaper price, about 100 bucks lesser than the 770. So I tried it out, and damn, I was in love! I played Dethklok's Deththeme on it and it was fuckin A! Way clearer then my 608 and I could hear the details, just through the speakers! The cymbals and the bass pedals were already turning me on. I knew this was THE one.

So the price was RM 799. After much bargaining and teasing she was willing to let it for RM 720, along with the screen protector and a plastic casing. Great. Well within my tight budget. Then I asked her how much would she buy my 608 for, and talking about being cheap...a 100 bucks! What the hell?! But anyhow, I figured it was a good deal and walla! I grabbed the 660i.

Compared to the 770, it falls short in terms of camera functions; just a typical 2.0MP camera with no flash and lesser shutter frames. But in terms of audio superiority, the 770 is as good as being run over, crushed and grinded by the 660. That was enough to make me happier than a pig in shit (this line is seriously being overused).

So finally, I've joined my brothers, Jai and Shan in the SE Walkman gang. Who has the best is yet to be decided.

At the moment, my playlist contains:

1. Blind Guardian (my selection)
2. Dark Tranquility (my selection)
3. Ensiferum's Victory Songs
4. Kalmah's For the Revolution
5. Naglfar's Vittra
6. Opeth's Still Life

All very melodic songs, to nicely layan during my journey to work and back. I'm gonna add Maiden and others sometime tonight, but at the moment, I'm still getting a hard on with Ensiferum, in the office, during the journey and also back home.

At the moment, I'm still having difficulties typing and pressing the keys cos of the protective plastic casing. It's making the keys stiff and as much as I hate it, it's still a good protector for the phone. I spend up to 5 minutes at times typing (Shan you bear, I know you're laughin now and I've always been a slow typer, but you should see my SKILLZ on the PC! Blinding speed!)

RM 600 spent in a day, and I'm gonna be on bread on water from now on...for all the meals I'm paying for. Thank God it's the wedding season now for the Hindus. FREE FOOD!!!

No comments: