Friday, April 11, 2008

I'm starting to miss

Jon Nodtveidt.



What a waste. Such an accomplished musician he was. The first time I heard Dissection (Nodtveidt's band) was when I was 15. 'Where Dead Angels Lie' was on a compilation of black metal bands which I managed to purchase for a mere RM 5. That compilation opened my eyes to Black Metal and it was this very cassette (I was poor, you fool) that introduced me to the Satanic side of the music industry and also the greats that make up the scene including Dimmu Borgir, Therion, Moonspell, Graveworm, Marduk and others. That cassette is 9 years old now and is still in pristine condition.

That aside, I've been a Dissection fan ever since. I dug through online archives for his albums, which brought me to 'The Somberlain' and 'Storm of the Light's Bane'. Two incredibly melodic albums as far as Black Metal goes. I became a hardcore fan in an instant. This was in 1999, also the year that I found out Jon has been in jail since '97 for being convicted of helping in the murder of a homosexual man. This is when I knew all hopes for a new Dissection were dashed, bitterly. But then in 2006, Jon was released and the first thing he did was to head to the studio and record his third masterpiece, Reinkaos. It wasn't as strong as it's two predecessors but it has some strong songwritting here and there. My favourite song was and is still Maha Kali. I still play that song over and over again.

Then of course, Dissection recorded a live DVD which I managed to get hold of, don't ask how. Fuckin' insane!! Jon still rips the guitar on stage like how he used to do it back then. There wasn't the slightest inconsistency throughout the set. One of the best live concerts I've watched on DVD.

Then of course, came the horrible news that shattered whatever respect I had for him. Jon was selfish. Took the easy way out. He blew his brains out with a shotgun. Having idolised a person for who he is and what a great person/musician he was, I couldn't accept the fact he had committed the most heinous of actions a person could possibly commit.

Jon was a member of the Misanthropic Luciferian Order (MLO), a Satanic cult/sect which practices Satanic/Luciferian philosophies in their everyday life. It isn't ritualistic Satanism, but philosophical Satanism. And according to this philosophy, one should take his own life once he has accomplished his ultimate goal. Jon's goal was to record that performance and release it on DVD once he's out of the can. And so he did. It was THE comeback for Dissection, reuniting old fans, and gaining newer ones. THAT was his goal. It's such a pity a man that great believed in something so shallow.



Despite his self-inflicted passing, I still have high regards for the chap. I know he believed in something really silly, but I still look up to his character, charisma and skill that made Jon Nodtveidt one of the most talented musicians in the scene. Goodbye, Jon. I'll see you soon, in Valhalla.

2 comments:

Wafie Zainal said...

God! Ur 15 and already ur satan's kid..gesh! ur sure one bad ass macha..

keep rockin' dude!

Anonymous said...

I admit I'm not a big fan of DISSECTION (yet) but I normally take a long time after a band's rise to actually really appreciate them. But anyway, Maha Kali is kick ass song. And they found a Satanic Grimoire when he shot himself - written by the MLO leader himself (name escapes me) and guess what - Reinkaos is the only known written work by that cult leader fool. Not many know the content of the Satanic Grimoire - which basically means spell book in French.

Anyway Pat, very entertaining blog. Loved the dead grandma one liner, very tasteful - something not very easy to accomplish when you're talking about dead grandparents.