Thursday, April 24, 2008

BEHEMOTH: At the Left Hand ov God video posted online

But unfortunately it can't be viewed by viewers outside the U.S. So I wouldn't bother putting up the blabbermouth link. Total bollocks! Why the hell would they restrict viewing to non Americans? I've checked youtube and even Behemoth's official website but it's just a waste of time. I guess we just have to wait. How long? Beats me. But with the invention of youtube, it shouldn't take long.

My take on Behemoth? Best band at the moment. Period. They've evolved a lot through the years, from a typical noise-invaded Black Metal to a very polished Blackened Death Metal band. And the catalyst of this evolution is no other that the grinder himself, Inferno. Since his inception in 1997 (for the Pandemonic Incantations album), Behemoth took music extremity to a higher level. Blasts beats have never sounded so (erotically?) good since his coming.

My first Behemoth experience was in 1999 when a friend of mine passed me a 'Pandemonic Incantation' cassette. I've not heard of Behemoth prior to that and I was inquisitive on how Black Metal sounded. I already had a few Rotting Christ albums back then and it scared the shit out of me. But from what I heard, Behemoth played a more extreme version of Black Metal ala Scandinavian style, which slightly differed from Rotting Christ's (creepy) melodic style.

My first listen made me remove the cassette from the player and chuck it into the unknown (that's exactly under my bed). It was something I couldn't swallow. Very messy guitars, drums and a crapfest of a production value made that album inaudible. I've kept away from Behemoth ever since thinking they're just one of those noisy bands until the year 2004. Behemoth released 'Demigod' back then and frankly I was skeptical about listening to it after the horror show 5 years before. But by 2004 I was already into Black Metal and the messy sounds/production had already become something I was used to and enjoyed. I like my coffee black and without sugar, and the same for Black Metal. But of course, I still can't digest Mayhem's 'Pure Fucking Armageddon' till today. Rotten (coffee) beans from the start.

'Demigod' blew me away and gave me an erection at the same time. They've switched their direction and they're probably one of the few bands to successfully do it. Dutch blasphemers God Dethroned were one of the pioneers of this new sub-genre but they still sound more Death Metal than Black. Many Black Metal bands have experimented with Death Metal influences including Marduk and Gorgoroth on their 'World Funeral' and 'Ad Majorem Sathannas Gloriam' respectively. So it's no wonder why a very young band (remember, Behemoth recorded their demo when Nergal was 15, by 19 he recorded their first full length 'Sventevith' and was a superstar by then) like Behemoth decided to change their direction. Behemoth injected a new kick with their heavy guitars coupled with Eastern melodies. Only then I learned that they had already adopted this direction since the 'Satanica' album which I missed. With this new sound, Behemoth have rebranded themselves with an image of intellectual rebels. Drawing influences from eastern myths, legends and beliefs (which they were already experimenting since the early Black Metal years) their new sound gives these influences a more profound presence.

'The Apostasy' is their latest release (2007) and it is concrete proof that they have grown stronger since the previous album. From the intro Rome 64 C.E. to the last track, Christgrinding Avenue, it boasts an album that is flawless by my ears. All songs are equally good, which gives me a hard time to even pick the best three tracks. And as I mentioned earlier, it reasons out my point in claiming them as the best band at the moment, regardless of genres.

I'm really looking forward to watching the video, cos the 'making of' and the trailer have already got me drooling.

The making of 'The Left hand of god'


The trailer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo fool! Maybela your blog is kicking Blabber's ass! Keep it up ma nigga...

Anyway, speaking of The Apostasy, the intro is really disappointing la. Compared to Demigod, see how that album kicked off.

Fuck, I lost my mp3 album of The Apostasy la. Must steal from one of you guys. It sucks being a pirate.